3.13.2013

WORKING IT OUT.

when people ask me if i work out, i always, always, always reply with the same answer, "oh no, definitely not. i try to avoid all types of exercise whenever possible."

you see, i just don't understand why i would choose to partake in something that causes me to angrily yell profanities in my head or wake up with muscles so achy that i can't snuggle a pup or two without grimacing. instead, i prefer to sip coffee and eat breakfast appetizers (do you order breakfast appetizers? if not, you should give it a try... a little sweet treat before real breakfast!) or curl up on the couch with a copy of kinfolk or take a group bath (hot tub) with the beloved board members of sparkel springs and talk late into the night.

however, drastic times call for drastic measures or whatever and i find myself on a serious and vital mission to do anything and everything that has been recommended to make me feel better. so, against my better judgement, i found myself exercising three times in the last week. friday i was a chaperone on the middle school ski bus  and spent the evening snowboarding as the sun set and streetlights flickered to life illuminating the snowy slopes. then, as if that wasn't enough, i walked the grueling .8 miles to work twice this week... both ways, folks, both ways.

as suspected, i cannot report total success. i did, indeed, wake up so sore after snowboarding that it seriously interfered with my pup snuggling and i was forced to schedule a massage (massages are another important part of my "just get through this" plan). but surprisingly, i cannot report total failure either. i never found myself yelling angrily in my head. instead, i was encouraged by a bright pink camellia bush already in full bloom, admired how the clouds moved through the light, and happily skipped along to the crystals "then he kissed me"  for at least a block or two.

certainly no promises, but soon when people ask me if i work out maybe i'll have a new answer that sounds something like this, "oh, exercise? yeah, i generally try to avoid it... but sometimes it's necessary. oh, and i always, always, always schedule a massage for afterwards."

 oh man, the sky was so beautiful right before sunset.

i was scared i wouldn't remember how to snowboard, but it turns out it's a little like riding a bike. with the exception of one major graceful fall, i was pretty proud of myself.

 my view.

 this picture is a little blurry, but this tree was so beautiful. it's always crazy to me how quickly things change from winter to spring.

a house on my way to work set up this "little free library." i would love to put one of these in front my house. what a great way to build community.

when you live in seattle, walking home from work might mean you arrive home a sopping mess. so very wet.

No comments:

Post a Comment